Three Kanji wall scrolls to translate

Other Chinese or Japanese calligraphy issues that does not seem to fit any of the categories above.
oschnuerer

Three Kanji wall scrolls to translate

Post by oschnuerer » Sep 9, 2015 10:29 am

Hello, in a few weeks my wife and I will move into a new house.
A friend gave three wall scrolls to me, two of them seem to be Kanji, about the third (with the flower) I am not so sure.
Could you please be so kind to give me a translation of the scrolls?

Scroll 1:
scroll1-1.jpg
Name and seal of the artist:
scroll1-2.jpg
(119.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Scroll 2:
scroll2-1.jpg
Name and seal of the artist:
scroll2-2.jpg
(76.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
And outside on the scroll:
scroll2-4.jpg
Scroll 3:
scroll3-1.jpg
(90.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
scroll3-2.jpg
scroll3-4.jpg
(113.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
And outside on the scroll:
scroll3-5.jpg
Cheers,
Oliver

Gary
The Boss

Re: Three Kanji wall scrolls to translate

Post by Gary » Sep 10, 2015 10:11 pm

Translations like this take more time, effort, and expertise than most people appreciate. Therefore I can't do them all for free.

The first one is 虎, written in a very cursive and variant form of 虎

It means "Tiger"

A single character like that is pretty easy compared to your phrases, but it takes 12 years of studying Chinese to know and identify this variant cursive form.

If you want the others done, you can purchase that service here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/proddeta ... rod=x-eval
I can probably do the rest for about $20, so just add two of these evaluation items to your cart and checkout, and I'll translate the last 4 pieces. It's at least a full hour of work.

I should mention the first 2 are Chinese, but the last 3 are Japanese. Or at least the first two can be read in Chinese. Since a majority of Japanese Kanji were borrowed directly from Chinese in the 5th century, there are a lot of words and phrases that cross over into both languages with the same meaning.

-Gary.

oschnuerer

Post by oschnuerer » Sep 11, 2015 6:10 am

Hi Gary, thank you so much for getting back to me!

I never thought your service is on for-free-basis, so I am more than happy to purchase the mentioned evaluation items.
For completion I add the pictures of the seals on the first two scrolls.
Scroll 1 (Tiger) seal:
scroll1-3.jpg
(59.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Scroll 2 seal:
scroll2-3.jpg
(57.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Thanks again,
Oliver

oschnuerer

Post by oschnuerer » Sep 12, 2015 5:33 am

Evaluation items purchased via paypal. :)
Do you contact me directly or will you post the translation here?

Cheers,
Oliver

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 14, 2015 5:05 pm

I am stacked with work through tomorrow. Hopefully I can answer this by Wednesday for you. I will write up everything here on the forum when I have finished working on this.

oschnuerer

Post by oschnuerer » Sep 15, 2015 12:03 am

OK, no worries!
I'd rather like to have a precise translation and interpretation than a hasty one :)

Cheers,
Oliver

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 24, 2015 11:50 pm

This has been really tough. I should have really looked at it, and ran it past my translator before I took on the job.

The cursive characters are hard to read, and in some cases, the language (Chinese, Japanese, or even old Korean Hanja) is hard to determine. Some are certainly Japanese with the Hiragana characters that are present. But all three languages used Chinese characters (Japanese Kanji, and old Korean Hanja came directly from Chinese charcters in the 5th and 4th centuries respectively).

The first scroll is tiger, as noted much earlier.

The second scroll is something like 讀書不如正解 (90% certain). The meaning is something like, "Reading a book is not necessarily a correct solution", or "Reading a book is not [always] the same as a real solution". It seems to contain characters that are not commonly used in Japanese, but the whole thing does not make perfect sense in Chinese.
This is similar to a common Chinese proverb or saying, 讀書不如行萬裡路 which roughly means, "Traveling thousands of miles is better than reading thousands of books".

The third wall scroll seems to start with a Japanese name: 井上四門... = Inoue Yotsukado...
We just could not figure out the rest.

Skipping the 4th and on the the 5th...

燕青氏けいとう... = Enseiken Clan, Kei Tou...
Enseiken is a Japanese term for a Chinese martial arts style "Yangqing".
It literally means "swallow green" (as in the small bird, and a color that is usually green, but could be blue depending on context).

I'm going to refund your money, as we just can't work this one out.

Sorry for the delay and inability to come through for you.

Yours,
-Gary.

oschnuerer

Post by oschnuerer » Sep 25, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi Gary,

I am truly sorry that apparently I wasted your time here.

The most important scrolls are the one reading "Tiger" (Thanks for this, this is already great work!), and the following two - split into two separate posts as I cannot figure out to ensure the inline images are showing up when placed into one post.
scroll2-1.jpg
Scroll 2

oschnuerer

Post by oschnuerer » Sep 25, 2015 12:21 pm

scroll3-2.jpg
Scroll 3
Forget about the rest - Do you think you can try to only get these translated?

I do not want to stress it too much - if you say there is no way you can do this, that's fine (and I will have to live with the fact that I do have no clue what is written on the scrolls), but if you see a chance to solve this I kindly ask you to try again.

I would not mind to purchase another (or two) evaluation units if only I would know what is written on the scrolls.

Cheers,
Oliver

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 21, 2015 7:41 pm

Sorry, I kind of lost track of this project.

So, I gave you most of what you need to know about Scroll #3. However, the rest will require a native Japanese person with an extensive knowledge of Japanese calligraphy, and cursive styles.

We really just have Chinese experts for this kind of thing. However we lack a Japanese cursive expert.

A lot of Japanese questions get answered on Yahoo answers for free. Maybe you can post your images and ask there.
https://answers.yahoo.com/
They tend to censor images that are posted, so expect a delay before your question goes public.

Also, I have issued a full refund to you since I could not complete the work.

-Gary.