Translation, please :O)

Want to know what your Chinese or Japanese tattoo says? Need info about Chinese Character / Japanese Kanji tattoos? See also: Asian Tattoo Template Service
BobaFettDK01

Translation, please :O)

Post by BobaFettDK01 » Dec 2, 2013 11:02 am

I´d like to get a translation of the attached tattoo, please :O)
Attachments
photo (2).jpg

Gary
The Boss

Re: Translation, please :O)

Post by Gary » Dec 2, 2013 2:06 pm

伐

This is "fa" in Mandarin Chinese.

Most of the time, it means to fell, cut down, or chop down a tree.

In some context, it can mean to send out an expedition against someone/something. Replace "expedition against" with "strike" or "attack" if you like. This is sometimes used to mean boasting about something.

Switching to Japanese, it's pronounced "Isao" and is used almost exclusively as a female given name. When pronounced batsu, it has similar meaning to the Chinese version in Buddhist context. However, my Buddhist dictionary indicates this is used to mean the act of cutting down or chastising someone - perhaps humiliating them.

Unicode info on this character:
Cantonese: fat6
Japanese Kun: KIRU UTSU HOKORU
Japanese On: BATSU
Korean Romanization: PEL
Korean Hangul: 벌
Vietnamese: phạt
Definition: cut down, subjugate, attack

-Gary.

BobaFettDK01

Post by BobaFettDK01 » Dec 2, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply!!!

I got the tattoo when I became a professional soldier in the Royal Danish Army, though not what it said at the tattoo parlor, it is odly appropriate...

Thanks for the translation, 20$ donated through PayPal ;0)

Dennis

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 5, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks for the donation.

The situation is tricky with the flashers or notebooks in tattoo parlors. I've walked into tattoo parlors for an informal survey, and found an average of more than 10% errors. The meaning of those results is that at least 1 in 10 characters had completely wrong English translations or titles. When I've mentioned the errors to the tattoo parlor owner or artist, they tend to get defensive, and claim there are no errors. The last time I did this, I asked how long the guy had studied Chinese or Japanese. He did not answer, but the look he gave me indicated it was time for me to leave.

About 8 years ago when I started doing tattoo templates for people, I would curse tattoo artists in Chinese and then in Japanese to see if I got a reaction. Not a single one understood, but they would still insist their flashers were correct.

Luckily for you, the meaning of yours may be a bit sideways from your intended meaning, but at least it's not a terrible meaning like some tattoos I've seen.

The worst for a man was one that was supposed to mean "courage", but instead read, "terrible mistake".

The worst for a woman was "cheap whore" - not sure what the intended meaning was.

Cheers,
-Gary.