verifying translation

Want to know what your Chinese or Japanese tattoo says? Need info about Chinese Character / Japanese Kanji tattoos? See also: Asian Tattoo Template Service
Tom Doyle

verifying translation

Post by Tom Doyle » Nov 17, 2015 10:43 am

This query is not specifically about tattoos, more about verifying the accuracy of translation. What I interned to do is place kanji characters on a sailboat sail as a decoration and also as a tongue-in-cheek confession. The sail is not going to be used normal way, thus the term "secret weapon". I have found several translations of "secret weapon". Do these characters mean what I think they mean and which best represents my intent

秘密兵器

meaning secret weapon
and

隠し球

meaning hidden ball trick,
ace up my sleeve, or
secret weapon

Gary
The Boss

Re: verifying translation

Post by Gary » Nov 17, 2015 4:35 pm

Well, 隠し球 is literally hidden ball, or concealed ball. Very colloquial, very Japanese. Not great for your intended purpose.

Instead of 秘密兵器, which is more like a secret soldier weapon, I would just change one character:

Japanese might write 秘密の武器 or 秘密武器. In Chinese, 秘密武器 also makes perfect sense. The の is a possessive article in Japanese. A quick search on Japanese Google shows that "秘密の武器" is more common, but 秘密武器 is also used fairly often. I like 秘密武器 because it will be universal (understood by Japanese, Chinese, Singaporeans, most Malaysians, Hong Kong people, Taiwanese, and older Koreans).

Note: The weapon is clearly something military or martial, as that is what 武 means. FYI: 兵 is soldier, pawn, or army.

If there is any debate between Japanese and Chinese, this may help you clear it up and make a final decision:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/forum/vi ... php?t=3099
Intended for tattoo projects, but it still generally applies to your case.

If you need some patterns and styles, for about $25, I can make you a set of templates like this:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/bushido-tattoo.php

-Gary.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Nov 17, 2015 4:46 pm

I was probably looking at 秘密兵器 more from the Chinese point of view instead of Japanese. If your target audience is Japanese, 秘密兵器 is probably more common (according to Japanese Google, it's about 10x more common). 秘密武器 is just more universal.

Tom Doyle

Post by Tom Doyle » Nov 18, 2015 6:24 pm

Gary,

I believe that 隠し球 , ace up my sleeve, better represents my intent. The term "secret weapon" is used not so much military strategy as it is taking sneaky advantage of a loophole in the rules. I would like to order a template of these characters.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 1, 2015 9:20 am

I presume you got your templates on the second try via your email.

Do keep in mind, this is literally "hidden ball". Colloquially, it is like "ace up your sleeve" in Japanese, but the literal meaning of these characters is different.

If you need the larger format that you mentioned, just let me know the character style (by name from the template page), and I will set you up with that.

-Gary.

Tom Doyle

Post by Tom Doyle » Dec 1, 2015 3:50 pm

Gary,

I have not received the template. How is it being sent? If by e-mail the sender and subject line need to be identifiable so that it is not discarded in spam. The final characters will be three feet tall, it is a big sail, about 20' by 60'. I will draw a grid over your template and a larger proportional grid for the final characters, then re-drawl the characters over the larger grid. If your template could be large it would be a help when I draw the grid lines.

Tom Doyle

Post by Tom Doyle » Dec 1, 2015 3:53 pm

Gary,

Forgot the character style. I like the printed kasishu.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 1, 2015 8:47 pm

Let me know if you need more resolution in one of the Printed Kaishu styles.

Tom Doyle

Post by Tom Doyle » Dec 3, 2015 3:12 pm

Gary, Have not received the templiate.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 12, 2015 7:33 pm

Do you have an email other than aol.com?

Sometimes AOL blocks and trashes emails from certain domains or servers. I have sent it to you three times now to your aol.com address.

Tom Doyle

Post by Tom Doyle » Dec 20, 2015 4:19 pm

Gary,

The only email I have received is the purchase receipt. The AOL address is the main one but I have another at tdoyle32726@gmail. I don't use it but if you want to try it I will try to remember to check it.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Dec 24, 2015 12:53 pm

gmail says that address does not exist. I tried sending from my personal gmail to your AOL address.