Any help on Chinese art made of butterfly wings

We don't do appraisals, but there are some recommendations here.
Robot0

Any help on Chinese art made of butterfly wings

Post by Robot0 » Apr 15, 2016 4:15 am

I found this piece of art, fell I love with it and purchased it. I wish I could know more about it and any background about the piece or the artist. I believe its Chinese and its made of butterfly wings. The year might say 1957 or 1977. I've attached some photos. Any helpful information or clues would be much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_SND_2.JPG
IMG_SND_1.JPG
IMG_SND_1.JPG (41.05 KiB) Viewed 25603 times

Gary
The Boss

Re: Any help on Chinese art made of butterfly wings

Post by Gary » Apr 18, 2016 8:45 am

I've seen these from time to time in the mainland. It could have been created in Taiwan as well. The year 1977 was just post Cultural Revolution, so people could start making artwork again. The inscription looks like 1977 to me, and art from 1957 would be unlikely from mainland China (except portraits of Chairman Mao).

Pollution has killed off most of the butterflies in China. Therefore, I presume that's why you don't see too many butterfly-wing "paintings" these days.

So you have something rare, but not particularly sought after. I don't think this has the same stigma as mink coats and ivory carvings, but you won't be making any friends with members of PETA.

At the very least, it's an interesting novelty that seems to be well-preserved. The colors appear to be vibrant still after nearly 40 years. It's like having artwork that almost belongs in a Ripley's Believe-It-Or-Not museum.

Robot0

Post by Robot0 » May 4, 2016 11:03 am

Wow... thanks for your helpful information. You make me want to get it appraised. Did I see in another posting that you do them?

Curious what one might expect to pay for an appraisal and research into the artist?

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » May 12, 2016 8:47 pm

All I do sometimes is work on translations of titles etc. I kind of already did half of that job for you, since I gave you what I could about the background and date. For $10, all you would get in addition is a romanization of the artist's name (and Chinese text if you want it for a Google search).

If you want appraisal (I don't do that), you can check out my suggestions here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9

-G.