Mark on Chinese bronze

We don't do appraisals, but there are some recommendations here.
Marco

Mark on Chinese bronze

Post by Marco » Nov 12, 2016 12:30 pm

I hope someone here may be able to help me.

I have a bronze/brass bowl with a mark on the bottom. I have researched it the best that I can, but can make no sense of it.

I would really really appreciate it if anyone was able to give me any hints whatsoever.

Thank you in advance.
P1.jpg
p2.jpg
p3.jpg

Gary
The Boss

Re: Mark on Chinese bronze

Post by Gary » Nov 13, 2016 9:04 am

These old "fang zhuanshu" or "square seal script" characters are always tough to decipher. There are over about 30,000 of them. Not all of the descendants of these characters are still in common use today. Also, there are often upwards of 20 variants of each zhuanshu character.

I have several special dictionaries that contain more than 25,000 characters with 10-20 variants depicted for each character. In fact, I just bought a new one that is the size of an old phone book for a medium-sized American city. In some cases, you have to look at all 300,000 or so variants to find the character you need.

I have a native researcher/translator who has plenty of experience doing this. However, it can easily take two hours or more. So you might have to pay $40+ just to get the name of the foundry or craftsman who made the vessel. However, no further information may be available about that foundry or craftsman.

Let me know if you want to pursue this.

FYI: An Asian art appraiser may also be able to do this, along with valuing the item. However, a verbal appraisal generally starts at $150+
Written appraisals are in the $300+ range. I don't do that kind of work, as I am not certified. That takes a two-year certificate program at the British Museum along with many years of experience and knowledge.

Marco

Post by Marco » Nov 14, 2016 8:16 am

!!
Last edited by Marco on Nov 16, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marco

Post by Marco » Nov 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Gary wrote:These old "fang zhuanshu" or "square seal script" characters are always tough to decipher. There are over about 30,000 of them. Not all of the descendants of these characters are still in common use today. Also, there are often upwards of 20 variants of each zhuanshu character.

I have several special dictionaries that contain more than 25,000 characters with 10-20 variants depicted for each character. In fact, I just bought a new one that is the size of an old phone book for a medium-sized American city. In some cases, you have to look at all 300,000 or so variants to find the character you need.

I have a native researcher/translator who has plenty of experience doing this. However, it can easily take two hours or more. So you might have to pay $40+ just to get the name of the foundry or craftsman who made the vessel. However, no further information may be available about that foundry or craftsman.

Let me know if you want to pursue this.

FYI: An Asian art appraiser may also be able to do this, along with valuing the item. However, a verbal appraisal generally starts at $150+
Written appraisals are in the $300+ range. I don't do that kind of work, as I am not certified. That takes a two-year certificate program at the British Museum along with many years of experience and knowledge.
Gary ...Thank you very much for reply

I already got the information of the mark :

This is the correct reading of the mark: 玉堂珍玩 (Yutang zhenwan) - era: Qing Dynasty.

Now I will verify that the piece is original.It is an interesting object that can have considerable value.

regards