Eleven scrolls for mounting December 2015

Questions and answers about our artwork mounting. See a tour of our artwork mounting workshop.
gdunn31
Advanced Member

Eleven scrolls for mounting December 2015

Post by gdunn31 » Dec 31, 2015 12:45 am

Hi Gary,
Turning it up to eleven this time. None of these paintings is over 13" wide (and if they seem to be from these images it is simply due to photography issues). I am planning on shipping them express to Beijing in the hopes of getting them mounted prior to the Chinese New Year hiatus if possible. I have an exhibit that I'd like to show a few of them at in early-ish March. The paintings are ready to go- though I'd like to ship them with the order number you provide I know that sometimes you get sidetracked with your military responsibilities, so if you aren't able to set these up for silk color options in the next few days I think that I'm just going to ship them without an order number so that they are at least in transit while you are finding time to get around to it. I figure that it will be easy enough for them to figure out seeing as how it doesn't look like you've had many custom mounting orders recently (and in fact, I think I actually forgot to do this one time and it wasn't an issue).

Anyway, here they are. All files are 600px tall as you request.

thanks!
Greg
Attachments
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg (36.46 KiB) Viewed 70276 times
FullSizeRender (4).jpg
FullSizeRender (4).jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 70276 times
FullSizeRender (5).jpg
FullSizeRender (5).jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 70276 times
FullSizeRender (6).jpg
FullSizeRender (6).jpg (52.53 KiB) Viewed 70276 times
FullSizeRender (7).jpg
FullSizeRender (7).jpg (53.3 KiB) Viewed 70276 times
FullSizeRender (8).jpg
FullSizeRender (8).jpg (55.64 KiB) Viewed 70276 times
FullSizeRender (9).jpg
FullSizeRender (9).jpg (45.42 KiB) Viewed 70276 times
FullSizeRender (10).jpg
FullSizeRender (10).jpg (40.31 KiB) Viewed 70276 times
FullSizeRender (11).jpg
FullSizeRender (11).jpg (35.92 KiB) Viewed 70276 times
FullSizeRender (12).jpg
FullSizeRender (12).jpg (55.12 KiB) Viewed 70276 times

gdunn31
Advanced Member

Re: Eleven scrolls for mounting December 2015

Post by gdunn31 » Dec 31, 2015 12:55 am

and for some reason this one didn't come through in the last batch
Attachments
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 70275 times

gdunn31
Advanced Member

Post by gdunn31 » Dec 31, 2015 5:25 pm

Hey Gary,
Due to my travel schedule, etc., it ended up being much simpler for me to just send the tube out today. Here is a picture of what the tube looks like for the shop's reference, and here is the tracking information should you need it. It shipped via USPS express international.

Label Number:
EC904066982US

Estimated delivery in China is January 11th.

thanks!
Greg
IMG_3608.JPG
(120.2 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 2, 2016 12:20 pm

OK, I will get these edited ASAP. We are low volume enough on mounting jobs, and your art is unique enough that I can associate the order number later.

It should be noted that we are preparing art for a huge exhibition in Beijing right now. We'll try to make yours not-too-slow, but I can't promise it will be fast. We also get slammed as Chinese New Years approaches (it's in early February, so January will be busy).

-Gary.

gdunn31
Advanced Member

Post by gdunn31 » Jan 6, 2016 2:13 pm

OK cool, got it. I'll keep an eye out for the silk selection posts.

ciao
Greg

gdunn31
Advanced Member

Post by gdunn31 » Jan 9, 2016 9:19 pm

Thanks, just submitted. Please pass the order #18584 on to the workshop.

I did half the batch rush and the other half not. If this ends up being weird for your system or you need to charge me extra for shipping two batches, please let me know and I'll be happy to pay it. I know that things are crazy this time of year in China- if it turns out that the express batch of 6 isn't ready by March 5th, I might contact you and have you ship it to a different address in Phoenix.

Happy New Year, and thanks!
Greg

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 10, 2016 12:23 pm

OK, I will try to speed things up if I can. I'll use those rush fees towards the cost of EMS (Express Mail).

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 31, 2016 11:31 am

Xiao Li (my master mounter) is having a few issues with this batch. He's released all our employees for the Chinese New Years holiday, but he is staying in the workshop to finish yours and a couple other emergency projects.

Last night he got a hold of me to discuss issues with this batch. He says it's different than all of your previous batches. The paper seems to have a sandy texture, and the artwork or paper is kind of sticky (I guess it wants to stick to the press). He is doing his best to make this happen, but there are some grave concerns about how well this will all come out.

If I understood correctly, the sandy texture is making this paper not want to bond to the backing paper for the wall scroll. But the face being sticky, is making it want to stick to the plates of the press. He will try to put some plastic sheeting between the artwork and press plates to mitigate the sticky problem.

He suggested that I provide you with the xuan paper for your next artwork project (which I can do by the way - as I stock papers for my Japanese calligraphers here in the states).

-Gary.

gdunn31
Advanced Member

Post by gdunn31 » Feb 29, 2016 8:23 pm

Yikes! I just saw this. Any news on how they came out? This is sized glass paper from Oriental Art Supply, I think.

Ah shit, I just realized what it is- I sprayed the pieces with UV matte fixative before sending them off as the ink I used is nice and liquid which I need for my purposes but is sensitive to UV. That must have been causing the problem. It is strange that it would be doing that this time as I'd used this method before and they came out fine.

If you also have any news as to whether they might be back in the next 8 or 9 days that would be great. I'm leaving for an exhibition on March 8th and it would be great to have them before then, but I know things have been busy on your end.

thanks
Greg

gdunn31
Advanced Member

Post by gdunn31 » Mar 7, 2016 9:29 pm

Hey Gary,
Checking in again to see if my scrolls survived mounting, please let me know. I'm chewing my fingernails off a bit as your last note sounded pretty dire.

thanks
Greg

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Mar 8, 2016 11:41 am

I will check with Beijing. We were trying to get them done before we closed for Chinese New Years (early Feb thru Feb 29). The complication made that not happen.

The last comment was about how they seemed sandy on one side, and wanted to stick to the press plates when heated.

gdunn31
Advanced Member

Post by gdunn31 » Mar 8, 2016 7:15 pm

Great, thanks. I'm not really concerned with timing at this point, just whether the scrolls survived. I wrote in my last post that I sprayed the pieces with UV matte fixative before sending them off as the ink I used is nice and liquid which I need for my purposes but is sensitive to UV. That must have been causing the problem. It is strange that it would be doing that this time as I'd used this method before and they came out fine.

Anyway, thanks for checking.
Greg

gdunn31
Advanced Member

Post by gdunn31 » Mar 23, 2016 7:07 am

Hi Gary,
I need to know if those paintings are destroyed or not. I have clients that are waiting on a few of them and need to repaint some of them right away if they didn't make it. I know that you are always very busy, but I would appreciate it if you could get to this ASAP as I've been in the dark as to this question for awhile now.

thanks!
Greg

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Mar 30, 2016 12:08 am

Last I heard, my master mounter, Xiao Li, was going to try to mount them, regardless of the danger, when he had a break and could concentrate on them. I sent a couple messages over the past days, but just found out from his wife that he had to travel to his hometown for grave sweeping (that's when you honor your ancestors - especially their graves). His mother passes last year, so the trip to his ancestral home was mandatory this year. He will be gone for a week. Whether finished or not, the ship date will not be until his return.

If you want to do some backup or safety pieces, without the lacquer or fixing solution, please go ahead. Use the same order number etc., and we'll work out a way to make this right later.

gdunn31
Advanced Member

Post by gdunn31 » Apr 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Hey Gary, thanks for the note. Any word from the mounter by chance? I am so busy with other projects that I can't afford to set aside time to repaint these unless it is absolutely necessary.

thanks
Greg

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Apr 23, 2016 10:06 am

My belated update:

Here's what we've been doing: The original style of mounting using the "paste up" method. We usually use heat-activated adhesive sheets, but with the way your artwork was getting sticky when heated, this was not an option. Yours was assembled with wet paste on a board (later peeled from the board when the lamination and process of building the wall scroll body were complete). This is how wall scrolls were made 100 to 300 years ago. The downside to this method is that it takes a lot longer, makes a stiffer wall scroll, and is sometimes more prone to showing wrinkles.

This process takes days between each step as the paste dries etc. Only my master mounter knows this technique (no apprentices or other workshop employees). So it took a while. If all is well, these are being shipped tomorrow be Express Mail to the USA.

gdunn31
Advanced Member

Post by gdunn31 » May 2, 2016 12:21 pm

Oh wow, that's amazing. I feel horrible for causing this much havoc, Gary. I am so appreciative that you and your master mounter were able to make this work. I would be happy to pay you guys something extra for the trouble. Please let me know if you'd like me to. I of course didn't mean to cause trouble but I inadvertently did, and I'm more than willing to help pick up the slack.

Anyway, I appreciate you following up on this, and please give my sincere thanks to your mounter.

best,
Greg