Re-mounting used/fairly old silk scroll

First, see General Framing Info or our Step-by-step Asian Artwork Framing Tutorial. Or, you might be looking for How to Care For and Hang Your Wall Scroll.
laraharp

Re-mounting used/fairly old silk scroll

Post by laraharp » Jan 14, 2009 9:55 pm

Dear Gary,

I wrote an email to you regarding this question. Now I upload a picture was taken by the seller. I myself cannot take any good one.

The thing which force me to change the silk scroll:

on the left of the scroll about 4-5 large spots can be seen, caused by water. It is clear, that sometime, when it was rolled up, some water has been poured on it. However it was not enough to reach all the layers of this rolled up scrool, but it went through on some of it. So when I open it, it is clearly visible on the left side.

Otherwise the silk itself a bit yellowish - maybe because of the dust it absorbed during hanging on the wall. I don't know, but I woudl be happy to see it witha new one.

If you need I'll try to make useable pictures of the spots, however I am sure I won't be able to make them disappear...by using any technique. Only changing would solve the problem.
Attachments
gary_spots.JPG
gary_spots.JPG (12.74 KiB) Viewed 18474 times
gary_upload.jpg
gary_upload.jpg (13.13 KiB) Viewed 18478 times

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jan 15, 2009 1:03 pm

It's probably not the kind of antique where the scroll mounting itself adds or affects the value of the artwork.

That being said, while I do not have the scroll in my hands to evaluate, it looks like a cheaply made one. This could cause problems with remounting. If the first mounters used cheap adhesives when they used the "cheap techniques" that I see, we might not be able to remove the backing from the original artwork panel. We might have to return it to you, as plain portrait suitable for framing, for just the cost of shipping if that is the case.

Taking a guess that the artwork panel width is about 16.75" (42cm), here's what I expect it to cost:

Forwarding to Beijing (if you send this first to our San Diego gallery) : $5
Labor for un-mounting, and preparation for re-mounting: $40
Mounting to new silk wall scroll: $29
Return shipping from China: $15.80

Total: $89.80

You have another option, which is to take this to a local framer. You can simply cut the painting from the wall scroll (leave a margin around the outside edge of the painting, so the framer has more to work with - and more to tuck behind the matting etc).

This will make a nice framed piece of artwork for a cost that is similar to what the remounting to a silk wall scroll will cost. And, a frame will offer better protection over the years.

Just something to think about.

-Gary.

laraharp

Post by laraharp » Jan 15, 2009 11:46 pm

It's probably not the kind of antique where the scroll mounting itself adds or affects the value of the artwork.

That being said, while I do not have the scroll in my hands to evaluate, it looks like a cheaply made one. This could cause problems with remounting. If the first mounters used cheap adhesives when they used the "cheap techniques" that I see, we might not be able to remove the backing from the original artwork panel. We might have to return it to you, as plain portrait suitable for framing, for just the cost of shipping if that is the case.

Taking a guess that the artwork panel width is about 16.75" (42cm), here's what I expect it to cost:

Forwarding to Beijing (if you send this first to our San Diego gallery) : $5
Labor for un-mounting, and preparation for re-mounting: $40
Mounting to new silk wall scroll: $29
Return shipping from China: $15.80

Total: $89.80

You have another option, which is to take this to a local framer. You can simply cut the painting from the wall scroll (leave a margin around the outside edge of the painting, so the framer has more to work with - and more to tuck behind the matting etc).

This will make a nice framed piece of artwork for a cost that is similar to what the remounting to a silk wall scroll will cost. And, a frame will offer better protection over the years.

Just something to think about.

-Gary.

Dear Gary,

thank you for your answer. First I will look around here regarding framing. (here in Hungary these kind of artworks not very often show up so I hope that the framer won't be scared of it:)

Otherwise, if it costs this amount of money I might rather order some new from you in this price and keep this one as it is - or frame it into a regular frame. (I like your paintings, and - as I said, here they are quite rare. So they can be a very special gift. In which case I think I rather keep that remounting money to order some more from you