Wall Scroll in Guest Bathroom

First, see General Framing Info or our Step-by-step Asian Artwork Framing Tutorial. Or, you might be looking for How to Care For and Hang Your Wall Scroll.
kgoodwin

Wall Scroll in Guest Bathroom

Post by kgoodwin » Jul 12, 2009 9:15 pm

I am thinking about getting one of the bamboo wall scrolls for my guest bathroom. Will moisture from the shower hurt the scroll? It will not be used regularly for showers, probably 4-5 times a year.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 12, 2009 11:05 pm

Any time you are going to put artwork in a bathroom, it should be framed. Acrylic glazing is recommended, as it's lower density will produce less condensation issues. Also tell your framer that you intend to put the piece in a bathroom - he or she will take extra precautions to ensure the piece can handle humidity.

Tip: If you are looking for a nice vertical piece, you can buy a wall scroll, and cut the top frame and bottom roller off, and have it framed as a tall portrait.

Putting a wall scroll in a bathroom (used for showers or bathing) will shorten its life. At a minimum, the scroll will develop some waviness. If the humidity is extreme, the silk could delaminate from the paper backing.

I guess you could just take the scroll out of the bathroom when it is going to be used for a shower - but that seems like a lot of extra work.

Good luck!
-Gary.