Advice on mounting unmounted watercolors

First, see General Framing Info or our Step-by-step Asian Artwork Framing Tutorial. Or, you might be looking for How to Care For and Hang Your Wall Scroll.
grammamac

Advice on mounting unmounted watercolors

Post by grammamac » Sep 2, 2009 11:26 pm

I have some unmounted paintings of various sizes collected over the last few years. I would like to know what the charge would be to have them traditionally mounted or if it is ok to have a framer here just dry mount the watercolors and frame as we do here in the us.

Thank you.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 3, 2009 10:34 pm

Cost of traditional mounting to a wall scroll runs about $200 in the USA. If you want to send it to our workshop it's as little as $20 (plus $15.80 for shipping on the first wall scroll and $4.80 for each additional one on the same order). This price applies to raw artwork no wider than 33cm.

You can dry-mount your artwork (once you find a framer who is willing to try it, or better yet, has experience using this technique on xuan paper).

The argument against dry-mounting goes something like this:
You are permanently bonding the artwork to the mount board - thus altering the artwork, and devaluing it.

However, if the artwork is not of heirloom or investment quality, this is kind of a moot point. I like dry-mounting, as it virtually guarantees a wrinkle-free and/or wave-free presentation of the artwork forever. This is something that a museum mount could never guarantee (if you live in a variable-humidity area, this can be significant).

Cheers,
-Gary.