Sing the scroll

First, see General Framing Info or our Step-by-step Asian Artwork Framing Tutorial. Or, you might be looking for How to Care For and Hang Your Wall Scroll.
ischandra

Sing the scroll

Post by ischandra » Sep 10, 2009 11:54 am

I'm using the "double happiness" scroll as signatures mat for my wedding. What type of pens or ink should I use to sign the scroll? Please help!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 10, 2009 3:50 pm

I suggest thin high-quality felt-tipped pens.

If you must, you can use ballpoint pens, however, you must also lay the scroll on a perfectly flat table (preferably a glass-topped table).

The worry is that a sharp pen on an uneven-textured table might tear through the paper of the scroll.

If you want to test some pens, just let me know, and I can mail you some scrap piece of paper or scrolls.

-Gary.

ischandra

Sign the scroll

Post by ischandra » Sep 11, 2009 7:08 am

Thanks for your prompt reply. I plan to sign on the silk material, not the double happiness paper. A sample would be great, but my wedding is next saturday (Sept 19). I don't think we'll have enough time. Thanks!

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 12, 2009 9:53 pm

I see. I thought you had one of our guestbook scrolls like this:

ischandra

Sign the Scroll

Post by ischandra » Sep 13, 2009 7:41 am

No, I have the one with a shorter style. I got it from you. Double happiness in the middle w/ Ivory silk.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 13, 2009 4:23 pm

If you are going to try to write on the silk, maybe you can test by drawing short lines with different pens under the roller (so that you won't see it later). I've never tried to write on the silk, so I have no steadfast suggestion for selection of pen type.

Good luck!
-Gary.

PS: If needed, we could get a guestbook scroll to you in time. If we ship by Priority Mail tomorrow, you could have it by Thursday. Express Mail is more expensive, but is another possibility.