Care of scrolls in the tropics

First, see General Framing Info or our Step-by-step Asian Artwork Framing Tutorial. Or, you might be looking for How to Care For and Hang Your Wall Scroll.
acchau

Care of scrolls in the tropics

Post by acchau » Oct 24, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi Gary

I live in the Australian tropics and generally the weather is hot and humid. We also have a monsoon season as well. I was wondering if we purchased the artwork from you and displayed them as scrolls on the wall, given our climate, would I need care for the scroll in particular manner?

Thanks,
Chris

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 25, 2009 10:10 am

Extreme humidity is one of the enemies of wall scrolls.

We use high-quality handmade all-natural xuan paper for both the artwork and construction of our wall scrolls. Therefore, our wall scrolls will breath and handle the humidity changes better than most.

In the worst-case-scenario, one of our wall scrolls that experiences extreme humidity may get a little wavy. However, when the scroll normalizes to the change, often the waviness goes away in about a week. These wall scrolls are almost living/breathing creatures. But it is possible for the waviness to be permanent or seasonal.

Once in seven years, I had a customer hang a wall scroll next to their hot steamy shower in their bathroom. They experienced some delamination of the silk from the xuan paper backing. Obviously we never recommend hanging wall scrolls in bathrooms.

If within a year after purchase, you experienced a delamination due to weather-related humidity, I would remount or replace your wall scrolls at my expense.

Cheers,
-Gary.