is it too late (improper framing?)

First, see General Framing Info or our Step-by-step Asian Artwork Framing Tutorial. Or, you might be looking for How to Care For and Hang Your Wall Scroll.
Mdlashgrl56

is it too late (improper framing?)

Post by Mdlashgrl56 » Jul 29, 2012 2:11 pm

I took a water color on "rice paper" to be framed professionally in U.S. I mentioned dry mount but they immediately rejected that. They double matted it and framed it. I can see just the slightest bit of wrinkling across about an inch of the painting. I can certainly live with it as it is. My concern is will the painting deteriorate with no backing, or is it going to stay as it is now.

Gary
The Boss

Re: is it too late (improper framing?)

Post by Gary » Jul 30, 2012 12:11 pm

It won't deteriorate at a faster rate. Just the wrinkles may increase, and you may have to learn to live with that.

I find that most framers that recommend against dry-mounting are the framers who don't have the required vacuum press. It's a little disingenuous of them when they make a recommendation based on the fact they don't have the correct equipment.

In China, you'll see a lot of museum mounting (using tape) since dry-mounting is not a traditional method. I find that Chinese consumers are a lot more tolerant of wrinkles and minor flaws, so that method seems to work well in China.

-Gary.