Horizontal hanging of a vertical scroll

First, see General Framing Info or our Step-by-step Asian Artwork Framing Tutorial. Or, you might be looking for How to Care For and Hang Your Wall Scroll.
Multsug

Horizontal hanging of a vertical scroll

Post by Multsug » Jul 4, 2013 3:13 am

I have a piece of horizontally-oriented calligraphy painted on a vertical-style scroll (Weighted bar and knobs at one end). Even normal horizontal scrolls are hard to hang--is there any known way to hang this one up well? It's quite long, and I'd be willing to make some sort of physical change to the scroll, but I don't want to just chop it out and have it framed--for one thing, that would probably cost more than the piece itself!

Gary
The Boss

Re: Horizontal hanging of a vertical scroll

Post by Gary » Jul 4, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm not clear on what the problem is. A simple nail or hook in the wall should suffice. Just hang by looping the upper ribbon or cord over the nail or hook.

If you're having trouble with curling or the scroll blowing around in the wind, that's another matter. Perhaps some Japanese scroll weights will work to solve that. In Japanese, this are called fuchin. Search Google for "wall scroll weights" or "fuchin" and you'll find some for sale (I don't sell these).

-Gary.

Multsug

Post by Multsug » Jul 4, 2013 10:25 pm

Ah, I must not have been clear. The painting is painted on a scroll that ordinarily hangs vertically, but needs to be hung horizontally (i.e. what would ordinarily be the top of the scroll is the left side of the picture).

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 5, 2013 3:05 pm

I guess you said it clearly, but I could not accept in my mind that you meant you wanted to hang a painting (or vertical wall scroll) sideways.

There is really no readily-available mechanism for what you want to do. A sideways vertical wall scroll is basically a hand scroll:
Hand Scroll
This kind of scroll is enjoyed in your lap (if it portrays a long story, and is itself of a very long physical length) or displayed on a table.

I guess you could drill a hole in one of the wooden knobs for a nail to be placed. But this is going to look awkward. Also, I'm sure the artists signature is oriented for vertical display. If you hang it sideways, expect a parade of Asian people, and westerners in the know, to tell you the painting is sideways every time you have a visitor to your home.

There are a lot of pitfalls with what you want to do. If there is no signature, then framing the piece is what I would consider doing.

-Gary.
At large in Beijing.

Aliraza019

Post by Aliraza019 » Sep 8, 2014 4:18 am

hey gary youre right with the 5 enemies, and I wanted to ask to you, if I can protect it with a glass

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Sep 10, 2014 10:34 am

If you have a wall scroll that you want to protect, there is an option...

Cut the top and bottom off of the wall scroll (but leave enough of the silk to make a border at the top and bottom).

Here's an example of what you'd be left with after the cutting (in this case from a two-toned silk wall scroll)...

[image="http://c.ooi1.com/usa/n13799.jpg"]Double Happiness Wall Scroll cut to Portrait[/image]

You can then take this to your professional framer and have him/her add molding and glazing (wood and glass).

If you plan it out just right, you might be able to use a standard 16" x 20" frame (to save money).

Here's some info on framing:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/howtoframe.php

-Gary.