Cutting Off Top and Bottom Of Scroll

First, see General Framing Info or our Step-by-step Asian Artwork Framing Tutorial. Or, you might be looking for How to Care For and Hang Your Wall Scroll.
joemaxhammer

Cutting Off Top and Bottom Of Scroll

Post by joemaxhammer » Mar 11, 2011 9:17 am

I have several scrolls with wooden rollers on the ends. Does cutting them off to frame them, devalue the scrolls? Or should I just leave them on and frame them? Thank you for your time in this matter.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Mar 11, 2011 10:29 am

I suppose it will depend on how old the wall scrolls are. If I had a wall scroll or hand scroll that was 200 years old, I would have it mounted in an acrylic or glass shadow box (like that do in museums around China).

Otherwise, the benefits of cutting the top and bottom off and framing the artwork are great. You will be protecting your artwork for posterity. Also, if later you decided you wanted the artwork to be on a wall scroll again, remounting as a wall scroll is very possible (we do it all the time in our workshop).

Cheers,
-Gary.

joemaxhammer

Post by joemaxhammer » Mar 11, 2011 10:58 am

Gary,

Thank you for your fast reply. I think I will remove the rollers and frame them. I want to be able to display them and also protect them for a long time. Keep up the great work you provide us.

Joe