Adjusting the lenght on a wall scroll

First, see General Framing Info or our Step-by-step Asian Artwork Framing Tutorial. Or, you might be looking for How to Care For and Hang Your Wall Scroll.
Tak

Adjusting the lenght on a wall scroll

Post by Tak » Jul 5, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi,
I recently purchased a wall scroll painting from my China trip. I found the scroll is little too long for the wall in the room where I planned to hang the scroll. Can you provide some info on how can I adjust the lenght for the scroll. Also I notice the space between the top of the painting and the top roller is wider than the space between the bottom of the painting and the bottom roller. Is that a standard for all Chinese wall scrolls? I was planning to make the space even for top and bottom when I adjust the lenght of the scroll. Please advise.

Thanks,

Tak

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Jul 6, 2011 3:18 pm

The top panel is almost always longer than the bottom panel on any Chinese wall scroll. This is considered the proper visual balance.

If you're going to cut a wall scroll, you need to go all the way (don't just cut out a section and try to splice it back together - I'm almost sure that you will not be happy with the results).

Here are your options:

1. Cut the top and bottom off the wall scroll, leaving a silk border that you can use in lieu of matting (even if you plan to cover it up, leave some border intact, as that will be used as an anchor behind the western mat board). Have the artwork framed as a tall and narrow painting. You will have gained (removed) about 18 inches (45cm) overall after considering the width/thickness of the frame molding.

2. I don't recommend this, as it will take the scroll out of balance... You can have the painting remounted with an especially short scroll length (truncated silk panels top and bottom). This will look strange, and possibly awful. It will also cost at least $50 if you sent it to our workshop in Beijing for the re-working. Again, I don't recommend this, and I would cringe if you even asked me to do it.

We make long portraits for framing all the time. Here we are working on a horizontal portrait (white silk) and a vertical one (gold silk)...

-Gary.

PS:
I spent a little over half an hours on answers to your two questions. If you appreciate this effort, please donate:

The typical visitor donates $5 to $20. This allows us to continue to offer such answers.