transliterate a nickname

Post here if you need your name added to our list of transliterated Mandarin Chinese names. Please note that we usually only do given names (first names), but we will try your family name if you really want it. If your name is not English or Spanish or is uncommon, please include the culture or language origin of your name and/or some pronunciation hints.
Forum rules
If your name is not English or Spanish or is uncommon, please include the culture or language origin of your name and/or some pronunciation hints.
OOAArt12

transliterate a nickname

Post by OOAArt12 » Sep 21, 2012 9:19 am

"Dear Sir, can you transliterate my nickname UNTETA ? Not the English but the phonetic Latin/Spanish pronunciation as in: Un ... as in "un" casa grande ( in Spanish: "a" grand house)
Te ... as in Teofilo .. or as in Teo (each slightly different in your list of western names in Chinese)
Ta ... as in Tabbatha
My goal is these three (or four names), top to bottom, on a wall scroll: Charlie Ray Nie Unteta (optional)
as in: "Cha" "Li" "Ray" "Nie" (as in Nieves) "Un" "Te" "Ta" ... 7 characters for 4 names as closely transliterated as possible. Thank you so much if you can confirm its possibility.

Sincerely, Charles

Gary
The Boss

Re: transliterate a nickname

Post by Gary » Sep 22, 2012 11:49 am

That's a really tough name. There's no real "un" sound in Chinese, so we have to use "yun".

I did a Chinese Google search, and nobody has ever transliterated this name before as far as I could tell.

So, here's mine:
Unteta = 雲特塔 "yun te ta".

Please note that if you just put a bunch of random names on a wall scroll, it will just look like nonsense to a Chinese person who tries to read it (unless you make it clear that it's a collection of names).

If this is for a family, perhaps a large character for family at the top, and each given name separately in columns below is a good choice. That will lead the reader to understand these are western names.

-Gary.