adding name

Post here if you need your name added to our list of transliterated Mandarin Chinese names. Please note that we usually only do given names (first names), but we will try your family name if you really want it. If your name is not English or Spanish or is uncommon, please include the culture or language origin of your name and/or some pronunciation hints.
Forum rules
If your name is not English or Spanish or is uncommon, please include the culture or language origin of your name and/or some pronunciation hints.
pinkygirl

adding name

Post by pinkygirl » Oct 11, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi Gary: I received my scrolls today and they are stunning. I would like to order a similar, Double Happiness, one for a good friend. He is from Taiwan. Which would be the appropriate calligraphy or calligrapher to choose? Thanks!

Gary
The Boss

Re: adding name

Post by Gary » Oct 12, 2012 11:00 am

I presume your friend just got married?

The Double Happiness character is really just appropriate for Chinese (and Korean) people who have just been married. Otherwise, a simple happiness or peace character as a general gift would be more appropriate.

Taiwanese people are of the same Chinese culture. Some will say, "I am Chinese, from Taiwan" to distinguish themselves from mainland Chinese. They use the same original Traditional Chinese characters (and Mandarin is the common language). Only politics separate the people living on either side of the Taiwan Strait. So they use the Double Happiness character too.

Because your friend will know the quality of the calligraphy at first sight, I suggest Master Calligrapher Xing An-Ping of Beijing. While most westerners cannot tell the difference, your friend will. Therefore, the economy calligrapher should probably be avoided, unless your budget dictates spending closer to $42 including shipping rather than about $77 including shipping (options you add or subtract can vary the price).

Cheers,
-Gary.

pinkygirl

Post by pinkygirl » Oct 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks Gary: Mike and Pam have been married about 2 years. We exchange Christmas gifts every year but we wanted to get them something different and more personalized. I will look the symbols over and go from there. Thanks again! Best regards, Bertie

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 15, 2012 12:57 pm

What about a love symbol with their names transliterated into Chinese as the inscription?

You can order that starting here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/options. ... cimg=24859

Just include their names as the inscription (see inscription tab when you get to the options page after you select your calligrapher).

This is good for a couple that's been together for a while. Double Happiness is kind of like saying "Just Married".

-Gary.

pinkygirl

Post by pinkygirl » Oct 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Gary: I see. Is it too late to change my order? I already ordered the double happiness with their names on it. If it is too late, thay may just have to do.

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 17, 2012 9:14 am

Well, the artwork was made days ago, but has not been mounted to a wall scroll yet. I talked to the calligrapher last night in Beijing, and he'll write a new piece if the other one is not going to get mounted, but there would be a $10 fee to cover materials and cost of the courier who took the artwork from his studio to our workshop.

I'm sorry, I had no idea that you'd already placed an order when I was advising you on what was appropriate for your situation.

We can probably send along the unmounted double happiness as a bonus.

Let me know what you want to do.

-Gary.

pinkygirl

Post by pinkygirl » Oct 18, 2012 3:13 am

HI GARY: Yes, we can change the scroll and add the double happiness too. I would be happy to pay extra for the double happiness one that was already made. They are good enough friends that Mike would chalk it up to just our ignorance of his culture and would be rather forgiving.I will get the double happiness one framed, so I would also like it mounted on the white silk and will pay what I need to , to get that done. So, here is what I will order: Medium Scroll with , I think you said the Love symbol with their names , red paper on the white silk and the Double Happiness also mounted on silk so it can be framed. I believe the framed little one was $29, so I don't mind paying that for all the trouble I have caused.
Also: It took me since yesterday to respond because I could not log on , but finally worked that out. Thanks, Bertie

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 20, 2012 10:05 am

I just have to figure out how to do this. I need to talk to the master calligrapher again, as my agreement with him was that this would not be mounted, and he'd just charge me for the materials etc.

The minimum charge for mounting a wall scroll is $32.88
If Xing An-Ping will still let this go for $10, I guess I'll owe you a refund of $39.
$81.88 - $32.88 - $10 = $39

-Gary.

pinkygirl

Post by pinkygirl » Oct 20, 2012 11:39 am

Gary:

Whatever is easiest for you. The little one, mounted or unmounted. I can figure it out on my end. I am sorry for all the confusion. The scroll with their names is the main gift. We can just keep the little one as it is if that was the agreement and if that is the easiest thing to do. If you want to mount it, that is ok too. Seriously, I am easy to work with and easy to get along with. Bertie

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Oct 23, 2012 11:28 pm

OK, he let this one go, so I've issued a $39.00 refund, and will ship both of these scrolls as soon as they arrive in the USA.

-Gary.

SICILIANA78

Post by SICILIANA78 » Feb 23, 2013 5:06 pm

i wish to add my name to the list my name is erie i know its very different but would love to have a scroll with my name on it

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Feb 26, 2013 9:35 am

For SICILIANA78:

I had researched and added the name you wanted. It can be found here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/name.php?n=erie

For future reference, common courtesy when using online forums dictates that you should not hijack other topics. Please create a new topic for a new question (or in this case, a new name). All forum moderators across the internet will appreciate that.

-Gary.