Custom calligraphy, and a compliment!

We'll be happy to translate a simple phrase into Mandarin Chinese for you. We can also do your favorite Bible verse, or Chinese philosophy. If you need a long phrase, poem, or song lyrics translated, there may be a translation charge (we'll let you know before we do it).
Nina

Custom calligraphy, and a compliment!

Post by Nina » Nov 9, 2007 12:54 pm

Hi! I LOVED the scroll I ordered in October. More importantly, so did my partner with whom I am opening a karate school (it was for his birthday). Your service was also fantastic -- I received the artwork on exactly the day estimated.

We have decided on a name for our school -- Kime Karate. We are interested in having the calligraphy done for "Kime" which is a Japanese word and a martial arts concept roughly translated as "focus." This calligraphy would become part of our logo.
Can you
1. Give us an idea of what this would look like? and
2. Give us an idea of what it would cost to have this done (just the characters for "kime," and not as a scroll)?

I would also eventually want to have the whole thing "Kime Karate" done as a scroll.

Thanks and best wishes,

Nina

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Nov 9, 2007 1:42 pm

I am not familiar with the word you are talking about.

Ki-me (which by the way should sound like "key may") does not have a focus definition in my Japanese dictionary. Keep in mind, this is a Romanization, so many different words or titles can have the same Romanization, but different Japanese Kanji could represent them. This is like homophones in English (their there they're).

I did find a "ki-me" which means "agreement or rule", with the first character meaning decide, fix, agree upon, appoint.

I don't think that was really it.

Why don't you tell me what you want focus to really mean. Some might put "flavors" on the focus such as:

Staying disciplined.
Staying on task.
Avoiding distraction.
Having tenacity or determination.
(I feel that all of these are ways that some people might perceive the phrase "being focused on something")

I imagine these might be close you your desired meaning, rather than some of the more literal meanings like:

Keeping your eye on something.
Getting your camera lens to the right setting so your picture will be sharp.

Let's define what you really want it to mean, and then we can come up with some good options.

My preference will be to come up with a character that is universally understood as Chinese, Japanese Kanji, and old Korean Hanja. This is often an obtainable goal - and it's nice when almost everyone of native-Asian background will be able to understand your logo or business title.

Cheers,
-Gary.

Nina

Post by Nina » Nov 9, 2007 2:07 pm

Thanks for your reply Gary. Yes, it is key-may. Several martial arts websites have defined it as "The concentrated focus of all your physical, mental, and spiritual actions combined at a specific moment" Wikipedia also has the following characters posted for Kime:

決め

I know that the second symbol is "me" in Hiragana, but the first is not a Hiragana or katakana character. Nor is it any kanji that I recognize, like "Ki" ("Chi" in Chinese) meaning spirit.

So, I don't know what to make of this! Do you know what the first character is? And does it make sense in the context I am talking about?

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Nov 9, 2007 7:04 pm

That happens to be the one I thought was closest (there were three "kime" or "きめ" entries in my Japanese dictionary that are commonly-used). This is the exact word that I described in my first reply.
My Japanese is getting rusty, but I am pretty sure this is the short form of きめる (kimeru) which just means "to decide". Used when asking things like "Did you decide to those shoes?".

Side Note:
I did live in a Japanese household for 3 years while studying Japanese (spent the last 5+ living in various Chinese households), but that was a while ago, and my fluency has slipped to the level of a two-year-old (please judge my answers accordingly, though often more accurate than Wikipedia or tattoo parlor books - I may not be fluent, but I have an understanding that allows me to research effectively).
When all else fails, I consult my Japanese translator, who is on-call for me, but charges a hefty sum.

In Chinese, the first character means "to decide" or "to determine". In some cases, it can mean "to breach" (as in a dike).

Here are a few forms of that character:
Image Image Image Image Image Image

This is Romanized as "jue" in Chinese, which kind of sounds like "jew-uh" using English sounds. It appears the pronunciation in Japanese was not borrowed from Chinese (as many words are). This generally means the concept existed in the Japanese language before the Chinese character was absorbed into Japanese around the 5th century.

I understand why someone would take the "focus" meaning, though that is not the first thing that would pop into my mind for this word.

I will make this recommendation to you
Last edited by Gary on Jan 25, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nina

Post by Nina » Nov 13, 2007 10:14 am

Hi Gary,

Thanks for all your help! We really like the characters that you sent - we particularly like the style of the last one. Would you please send or post the entire phrase? Also, if you could please send or post the "me" character as well that would really make us happy!

Cheers!

Nina

Gary
The Boss

Post by Gary » Nov 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Here's how that looks as the full word in several styles:Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I don't have an image made for "me" since it is Hiragana and I specialize in Kanji (Chinese character) calligraphy.

The whole word "kimeru" is:
決める
The middle character is the "me" that you are looking for.
If your computer chokes on the Japanese that I have written above, you may just see some "text garbage" or empty boxes.

If you have Windows Vista, you will automatically be able to see the characters, however, this is the only good feature of Vista that I have found so far (trying to switch back to XP now - this Vista OS is awful).

If you want to order graphics of kesshin, just go here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/chinese- ... ervice.php
I know it's for tattoos, but I will output around 90 different versions of kesshin for you to use on stationary, etc. If you pick a certain one out of the 90 or so options, I can even offer a super hi-res tiff file if you need it.
See a sample of how this system works for "dragon" here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/dragon-tattoo.php

If you just want the wall scroll, you can find that here:
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/shufa.php?q=kesshin

Cheers,
-Gary.